"HM lost most of his ability to form new memories - the result of an experimental brain operation performed as a last ditch effort to treat his frequent of epileptic seizures. Since that time, he has been almost completely unable to create new memories of the events in his life...So profound is his memory impairment that he has never even learned to recognize the people who have taken care of him in the ensuing 55-plus years after his surgery..."
-Psychology: Core Concept
I'm nuts..talking about work here..ha..but I was thinking about myself..my memory..my bad memory in particular..and HM hit upon me..
the last time I felt my memory was in perfect condition was probably up til the time I was in JC..perhaps until army (a few months into that transition) after that everything up til this point in time..everything has been a blur..I could probably tell you about a few events that occurred during this time frame..a few here and there..and if you were to ask me about certain memories and provide me with a little info..it could jolt my memory..but there are definitely names..faces..that are not on my C drive..or recycle bin for sure..
the last time I felt my memory was in perfect condition was probably up til the time I was in JC..perhaps until army (a few months into that transition) after that everything up til this point in time..everything has been a blur..I could probably tell you about a few events that occurred during this time frame..a few here and there..and if you were to ask me about certain memories and provide me with a little info..it could jolt my memory..but there are definitely names..faces..that are not on my C drive..or recycle bin for sure..
I probably could not reach the state that I was before..and man..it's a sad thing..because the state of mind (sounds weird here) that I had before..man..i tell you..i had always been proud of it. ha..like supercalifragilistic-splenderful(splendid + wonderful)..oh man.
early signs of dementia (along with receding hairline to support the claim) or
slight damage to my hippocampus?
anyway more on HM if you're interested.
"Remarkably, HM memory for events prior to the operation remains normal, even as new experiences slip away before he can store them in long term memory. He knows nothing of the 9/11 attacks, the moon landings, or the computer revolution. He cannot remember what he had for breakfast or the name of a visitor who left two minutes ago. Ironically, one of the very few things he has been able to retain is that he has a memory problem. Even so, he is mildly surprised to see an aging face in the mirror, expecting the younger man he was in 1953. In present, HM is a man caught in the present moment - which quickly fades away without being captured by memory. "
PS: in case you're wondering if i'm talking about H&M here..you're probably on the wrong page :)
2 comments:
i have this memory loss syndrome too! my friend says it's too much coffee but i doubt that's the cause haha
ha. i think not ba. i drink only 3 cups of coffee in one sem at most? i think it's either excessive tv. or too much sleeping. me not kidding.
Post a Comment