The Song
There is no mistake. It must be her. No one else plays the pieces in such a sequence. That would be too much of a coincidence in an hour. Liebesträume, Clair De Lune. Now, Canon in D. Moonlight Sonata will be up next.
There is so much for me to ask her. How long has it been? Will she be staying for long this time round? Or will it be another transit stop like the previous time? Why hasn’t she looked me up then? More doubts flooded my mind in the past hour since the incident happened.
1627hrs. It was a hot Sunday afternoon. Beads of perspiration formed though the fan was blowing straight at us. Being a student myself the past few years, I’ve learnt that it wasn’t easy to keep your attention span in such heat. But he hasn’t been bothered by it, unlike what I had expected. As he set about solving the questions that he has been assigned, I turned my focus to the surroundings.
It was a cosy neighbourhood. The apartments were closely built to one another pretty much like your typical terrace houses. This wasn’t much of a surprise since land is expensive here. Most private housings take of such architecture. The buildings are so compact that you can actually peer into your neighbour’s apartment. But the people here didn’t seem to mind. It helps foster bonds, just like the past in kampongs they say.
It was then I realised that songs were being played from the neighbourhood. The way it dawned upon you that you’ve yet to keep your laundry, as you take in the sights of raindrop falling from the sky. Or the way you realised that lunch was more than that bowl of noodles, as you vacate your seat and see her sitting two tables away from you. The way you realised you have been missing out on things. Things that you should have took notice.
Most of the neighbouring windows are closed today. Except for two. From where I was, I could roughly make out that one window leads to an empty study room. For the other, I couldn’t tell what it was, since my view had been partially blocked. But I’m sure the music is played from there. As the lesson continued, the source of music turned into a source of distraction. I was more curious, than irritated. They say that a playlist could tell a person’s personality. I was very interested to find out who had complied that playlist.
No comments:
Post a Comment