Thursday, February 28, 2008

me2u

The Melody

I followed the music. It’s harder to locate the exact unit of the window than i expected. The estate isn’t big. But to get to the other side of the compound is akin to getting from one adjacent avenue to the other. Without being able to cut through the small lanes that would be present if it’s on the roads. So I had to go all the way to the end of the row of houses and made my way back along the other side. “1..2..3..4..” I counted. There is no way I’m going home without seeing her today.

The last song I heard before I went out of ear-shot was Truly Madly Deeply. When I returned, the songs were no longer playing. It had been replaced by notes that were more soothing, a tune that is more melodious. Someone was playing the piano. There was a distinct sense of déjà vu. Liebesträume. Her favourite piece. I stood there along the pavement, listening to the music.

There is no mistake. It must be her. No one else plays the pieces in such a sequence. That would be too much of a coincidence in an hour. Liebesträume, Clair De Lune. Now, Canon in D. Up next, will be Moonlight Sonata.

I must have stood there for quite a while, reminiscing about the past. ‘Click!’ Her front door opened and brought me back to my senses. The songs had stopped playing some time back, and the music had stopped as well. She stepped out of the door. I was about to call out to her. When another man emerged from her house.

He wasn’t much other than us. From where I stood, you could tell he paid attention to the way he looked. His movements showed that he was more cultured than athletic. Bespectacled, boyish-charm, smartly dressed. In his hands, he was carrying a file, or a laptop carrier, I couldn’t tell. They stood at the door for about 5 minutes, enjoying each other’s company.

There was so much for me to ask her. They didn’t matter now. So it’s him..I took a final look at her. Her radiant smile never once faded. She’s still the same angel that lit up my life five years ago. “Oh Leweena...”

No comments: